Monday, September 8, 2008

Welcome to Readers

Welcome to Game Signs, a tabletop gaming blog. In the coming weeks I will be posting, on a Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule, articles on various aspects of gaming, especially articles for those just entering our hobby.
Why? The reasons are several. First is that there aren't really many good sites about tabletop gaming on the net. There is a plethora of good forums, rpg.net being the first that comes to mind, not to mention a mind boggling array of news blogs. But there aren't many sites posting solid articles about gaming. I'd like to change that, and guide people to those sites that are putting up quality material. I'd also really like to help those who are just starting out. We as gamers don't often think about how intimidating our community can be, what with our 3.5e and our bell curves and our THAC0. (Does anyone actually talk about THAC0 unironically anymore?) My hope is that I can help a few of these new people join the fold, even if it's only by providing links to other people with better advice. I'll try to include at least two relevant links with every post.
Why part deux: why me? Why should anyone listen to what I have to say? I've been gaming as a serious hobby for 7 years now, which means I can just barely remember when ADnD was seeing widespread use. It also means I remember what it was like to not know what THAC0 meant, or to think that a dice pool is where your dice sit when you're not using them, or even that dice that weren't six-sided were just a novelty. We've all been there. It's just a little fresher for some of us. I hope that the links and articles I provide in future posts will be informative, or at least entertaining.
Eric Mav,
Gamer

No comments: